But that’s true of all statist ideologies.
Last year, as part of a column on the collapse of the Soviet Empire, I put together a statism spectrum showing the degree to which various nations allow economic liberty.
I thought this effort was useful because it shows, for instance, that the United States, France, and Hong Kong are all on the right side, but that there are nonetheless obvious differences in the amount of economic freedom for those three jurisdictions. Likewise, it’s not good to be Mexico, China, or North Korea, but there are degrees of statism and it’s worse to be farther to the left.
Speaking of left, not all advocates of bigger government are the same. So earlier this year I created another spectrum showing that there are various strains of statism, especially among true believers.
The value of this spectrum is that it shows the differences between totalitarians, genuine socialists, and run-of-the-mill hard-core leftists like Bernie Sanders.
And both of these spectrums were implicit in my interview yesterday about Venezuela. I pointed out that Venezuela technically isn’t socialist, but also suggested that doesn’t matter because the country is definitely on the wrong part of the statism spectrum.
Since we’re discussing statism, let’s close with some really good news. Matt Yglesias of Vox likes big government. A lot. But he’s also capable of dispassionately analyzing what works and doesn’t work for his side. And he writes that “socialism” is a bad word for those who want to expand the size and scope of government.
Bernie Sanders refers to his ideology — which I would characterize as social democracy or even just welfare state liberalism — as democratic socialism, a politically loaded term that seems to imply policy commitments Sanders hasn’t made to things like government ownership of major industries. …the socialist branding seems to have offered Sanders some upside…earning him enthusiastic support from a number of politically engaged people who seem to really be socialists… Against this, though, one has to weigh the reality that socialism is really unpopular in the United States.
How unpopular? Yglesias shares some new polling data from Gallup.
This is great news. Not only is socialism unpopular, but it ranks below the federal government (which traditionally gets low marks from the American people). And the supposed Sanders revolution hasn’t even translated into a relative improvement. This poisonous ideology is actually slightly more unpopular than it was in 2010 and 2012.
Here’s what Yglesias wrote about these numbers.
Any form of left-of-center politics in the United States, frankly, is going to have a problem with the fact that “the federal government” is viewed so much less favorably than cuddly targets like “small business,” “entrepreneurs,” and “free enterprise.” Even big business does better than the federal government. And both big business and capitalism do far better than socialism.
As I said, this is excellent news.
A few closing thoughts.
- First, Yglesias and I don’t agree on very much (he’s referred to me as insane and irrational), but we both think that a socialist is someone who believes in government ownership of the means of production, not simply someone who believes in bigger government.
- Second, the Gallup data reinforces what I wrote back in April about “free enterprise” being a much more appealing term than “capitalism.”
This is a guest post by Dan Mitchell “a high priest of light tax small state libertarianism”
Sign up for our FREE newsletter!Sign up to receive daily updates, political news, action letters and additional messages from Conservative Republican News
June 23, 2017 By D.E.
November 10, 2016 By Katie
March 21, 2016 By Katie
December 19, 2016 By Kent Kellar
- More liberal terrorism: Two charged with attempted murder in stabbing at Trump event
- HIT LIST: Liberals have vowed to kill 30 GOP congressmembers in just the last 7 weeks
- Micheal Brown tried to kill a police officer, so the government is paying his parents
- Kids whose Trump photos were censored from yearbook just got a YUGE care package
- Teachers packing books and HEAT at these schools
- INSANE DASH CAM: Woman LOSES HER MIND over traffic ticket
- MORE LIBERAL TERRORISM: Yet another Democrat arrested for yet another assassination threat
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Incoming? Activity detected at North Korean nuclear weapons site
- How to get shot by the police during a routine traffic stop…
- Canadian sniper’s kill shot is world-record breaking HOW MANY yards?!?!