President-elect Donald Trump is hard at work picking the people who will run his administration, and the man he’s reportedly tapped to head up the Pentagon is none other than retired Marine Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis.
A retired four-star general and former head of both U.S. Joint Forces and U.S. Central Command, Mattis is undoubtedly qualified for the position of defense secretary. But perhaps even more legendary than his storied 44-year career is his ability to be quoted.
Liberals may just lose their minds when they hear some of these gems:
- “You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.”
- “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.”
- “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them.”
- “The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.”
- “In this age, I don’t care how tactically or operationally brilliant you are, if you cannot create harmony — even vicious harmony — on the battlefield based on trust across service lines, across coalition and national lines, and across civilian/military lines, you need to go home, because your leadership is obsolete. We have got to have officers who can create harmony across all those lines.”
See more of Mattis’s best quotes here.